I’ve finally found what I think is the best ab workout for men and women that includes the most effective ab exercises to get the kind of abs you’d like. Whether you’re a guy who wants deep six pack abs or a woman who wants a toned flat stomach, the principles of this ab workout routine will be effective. I’ve consistently recommended core exercises like planks, but Rusty Moore’s Abs Blueprint 1.0 lays out some excellent strategies for using these and other ab exercises to tighten, tone, and mold a great set of six pack abs. Rusty is actually offering this report for free along with a videos discussing numerous strategies on his Fitness Black Book Facebook page; I’d recommend downloading it so you can read firsthand about some of the tips I review below.
I always feel the need to preface any article about six pack abs with two points. First, you need low body fat for your abdominal muscles to be visible. Check out my Fitness in a Flash report or How to Get a Beach Body in 2 Months or Less for more information on burning fat. Second, I do not recommend crunches to get six pack abs. Remember that abdominal muscles are designed to support and straighten your spine. Consistently “crunching” your spine in an effort to spot reduce abdominal fat is not going to help you sculpt tight abs.
Most Effective Ab Exercises
You can read the full description of these exercises in Abs Blueprint 1.0, but here’s a quick look at the most effective ab exercises:
- Lying leg raises
- Hanging leg raises: knee ups, bent leg raise, hanging leg raise, feet-to-the-bar bent leg raises, swinging side-to-side bent knee ups
- Planks: regular, side
- Ab wheel
- Renegade rows
- Hip bridges & back bridges: not ab exercises, but useful to counteract the effect of bending the spine forward
All of the exercises listed above can be used in anyone’s workout routine. There’s no reason why men and women can’t perform the same workout. However, women generally seem to prefer a flat stomach with some definition whereas men want the fully defined six pack.
Best Ab Workout for Women
Here is the Flat Abs Workout from Abs Blueprint 1.0. It might not look like much on paper but it’s pretty challenging and will help women develop that nice bikini body without getting overly defined abs.
- Lying leg raises: 5 sets of 20 reps
- Hip bridges: hold for a few minutes
- Planks: 2 minute regular plank, 1 minute right side plank, 1 minute left side plank
Best Ab Workout for Men
Here is the Deep Abs Level 1 Workout from Abs Blueprint 1.0. The idea is to perform a stabilization and ab flexing combo exercise followed by a fatigue exercise and then a density exercise. It concludes with a stabilization exercise and bridges.
- Feet-to-the-bar bent leg raises: 5 sets of 10 reps
- Swinging side-to-side bent knee ups: failure
- Renegade rows: 5 sets of 3 reps
- Planks: regular plank for at least 2 minutes
- Hip or back bridges: 5 minutes
My Ab Workout
Like all good workouts, Abs Blueprint 1.0 provides enough flexibility to structure your own routine. I like to maximize the use of my time through supersets. As a starting point, I include renegade rows as part of a superset with standing shoulder press. Then I perform the following ab exercises and bridges:
Feet-to-the-bar bent leg raises or hanging leg raises with weights: 3 sets of 10 reps
Stand-to-stand back bridges: 3 sets of 10 reps (these are outlined in Convict Conditioning)
Swinging side-to-side bent knee ups: failure
Ab wheel or planks: at least 2 minutes
Lying leg raises: 3 sets of 20 reps
Neck bridges: 3 sets of 1 minute
Improve Mind-to-Muscle Link
In addition to the above workout, I’ve decided to add in some morning abdominal exercises to improve my mind-to-muscle link. This will naturally increase the tone of your abs. Abs Blueprint 1.0 recommends performing this type of routine for no more than 3 weeks at a time to avoid overtraining. The first two exercises are not part of Abs Blueprint 1.0; you can learn more about them here.
- Farmer burns stomach flattener
- Stomach vacuum
- Regular plank
- Side planks
- Shifting endurance planks
Develop Great Abs
As you can see, this is a pretty comprehensive abdominal workout and is designed for those who want to get great abs. I’d once again encourage you to download Abs Blueprint 1.0 so that you can read all the details on the exercises and the underlying rationale for the construction of the workouts. I really believe these are the most effective ab exercises and that this is the best ab workout for men and women.
- Best Core Exercises for Men and Women
- Six Pack Abs Workout Routine, Diet Plan & Exercises
- How to get washboard abs? Do plank exercises, no more crunches!
- Workout Routines for Beginners: Strength Training Exercises
- An Effective, Quick Workout For Busy People: Get Lean with 20 Minutes of Intense Exercise